************

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Adoption Books for Kids

As Lily gets older (She'll be two soon! Where in the world has the time gone?), we're starting to talk more and more to her about adoption. One of our favorite ways to talk to her about it right now is through some of the books we read to her. I thought I'd put together a list here of some of the books we read:








Little Miss Spider by David Kirk
(I love the last line, "For Finding your mother there is one certain test. You must look for the creature who loves you the best." There is a cartoon now, too, based on the books.)

A Mother for Choco by Keiko Kasza (Great for all adoptions but excellent for transracial adoptions. The ongoing theme is that a family doesn't have to all look the same.)

Tell Me Again About the Night I Was Born by Jamie Lee Curtis (The first adoption book we ever read and probably my favorite. It's definitely geared toward domestic adoption. I love that it tells the story simply with great pictures and lets the child know how special she is and shows the incredible excitement the parents felt in their journey to get to her.)

Over the Moon by Karen Katz (I love all of her books. This is one is more geared toward international adoption, but can work for all adoptions. )

If you have other favorites, leave them in the comments section. I'd love to be able to add to our library and to hear about books you love!

3 comments:

Jess said...

We liked Happy Adoption Day.

http://www.amazon.com/Happy-Adoption-Day-John-McCutcheon/dp/0316554553

I find a lot of books we read aren't very.....geared for a very open adoption. I don't like ones that focus TOO much on how great and wonderful the adoptive family is and how "natural" or "right" it is...not because I don't believe that, I DO...but because it feels somewhat exclusive of the birthfamily, and with the amount of openness we have, we can't have that. Or more frequently, I find that books are geared HEAVILY towards IA instead of DA.

Have you found any that are really good for openness? I'd like to se a book that talks about both families being one, but I've yet to see it. I know that we're VERY VERY open, but it seems like even less openness would benefit from the same general idea in a book.

Gretchen said...

Great recommendations!

Karalee said...

Jess - great recommendation! I think lots of books are really lacking when it comes to openness. I have an idea...you should write one:)

I'll look around a bit and see if I can't find one. I'm also going to check out Happy Adoption Day! :)